Hours/Days per week: 8-12 hours (possibly less between exhibitions, more during installations). Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule ideal.
The Preparatorial intern will assist the Preparator with current and ongoing projects including fabrications for upcoming exhibitions, facilities and shop maintenance, exhibition operation and maintenance, and project design, planning, and troubleshooting.
The intern will gain hands-on experience with handling, installing, and building contemporary art works in a museum environment, learn to safely, comfortably, and aptly use a variety of power and hand tools, have a command over basic carpentry/fabrication, and improve critical thinking and design abilities.
Ongoing projects may include:
- Shop safety and utility improvements
- Material storage and equipment storage improvements
- Detailed and functioning inventory system
- Proper practices for recycling/donating/selling unneeded materials
- Must be able to lift heavy objects, safely operate tools and machinery, be able to meet project deadlines, work in a collaborative environment, come to work prepared for physical labor and wear safe working attire
- Preferred experience with power tools, basic construction, fabrication, woodworking
- Experience with applied design/drafting and/or CAD/SketchUp a plus
- Applicants must be self-sufficient and possess strong organizational skills
The intern must sign a liability waiver, due to the nature of the work. By doing so, the intern accepts all potential risks and dangers when accepting the internship position and its corresponding responsibilities. In case of an accident or injury, UMOCA cannot be held legally responsible in any way.