Staff Member (Intern Site Supervisor): Christie Marcy, Marketing Director
Program/ Department: Communications Intern
Specific Dates: Mid August — Mid December
Hours/Days per week: 10-12 hours per week (8 hours in-house and 4 flexible). Assistance with events including exhibition openings and public programs preferred, and can count towards flexible hours. Assistance with at least one event per month is required.
- Building communication outlets/ contacts in neighboring cities
- Basic website maintenance
- Drafting press releases
- Pitching bloggers and other media contacts about events
- Tracking and archiving both electronic and physical media coverage
- Updating event listings and community calendars
- Creating events on UMOCA’s Facebook page, Twitter account and blog, as well as interacting with followers
- Creating and maintaining a list of contacts and updating these individuals with information about upcoming UMOCA events
- Distributing posters and postcards throughout the downtown area to advertise for larger events
- Document various events at UMOCA, by video and still photography, as needed (upload and document on server, equipment will be provided)
- Also, some general help around UMOCA when preparing for exhibitions, and other duties as needed
Specific Skills/Requirements: Prefer candidates with some communications background, and some experience in online marketing and comfortable in web-based applications (WordPress, Constant Contact, Facebook, etc.). Would like someone detail-oriented and able to analyze systems and figure out how to make them work better, but who is also interested in the bigger goals of both the department and the organization. Candidate should show strong interest in art, or in the general workings of a non-profit. Experience in Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
Intern will work on a few ongoing projects, such as the Media Archive and organizing electronic files throughout the semester, and help out with communications related to exhibition openings and events. Some activities, such as pitching bloggers and scanning the Google Alerts, can happen remotely or at UMOCA. Supervisor is open to discussing.